Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Books-A-Million


After reading another blog, I started to think about ol'Suess and other favorite children books of mine. After much thought (and flipping through my old lesson plans ) I came up with some of my favorites:

My favorite Big Book: Mrs. Wishy-Washy-If you don't know her, you will grow to love her. Wishy-Washy,Wishy-Washy!

Some of my favorite Teaching books: Brown Cow, Green Grass, Yellow Melow Butter-Not only can they "read" some of the color words, it also has the fun clay like pictures.
Stranger In the Woods-REAL PHOTOS put to a story! Just WONDERFUL!
GAIL GIBBONS...

Books that are my favorite to sequence with: The Jacket I Wear In The Snow- It gets me all ready for winter. Wouldn't you know I would love this-A whole book on Winter Fashion!!!
The Napping House
All the Brown Bear,Polar Bear ect books

Just Good Reads:
Bear Snores On
Any Kevin Henkes book- I HEART THE MOUSE STORIES!
The Ghost's Dinner-I love writing a book with this one.
The Kissing Hand-Kindergarten's Signature

AND SOOOO MANY MORE.

I know I left out probably my favorite ones, but these are the ones that I could remember after a long hard day's work. What is your favorite children's story?

P.S. Books can be my weakness. My husband doesn't allow me to purchase any more. He groans every time I want to go to Barnes and Nobel. This customer is limited to one book please! :)

1 comment:

christine pinson said...

What a great post, Leah! I LOVE childrens books...they are my major collection, and have been for a long time. One of my favorite things to do when I was at ACU was to go to the Abilene bookstore...I wish we had one like that around here.

I LOVE Bear Snores On...we have used that in my creative dramatics classes as a play and it was so cute. i don't know if i could pick favorites, but some of the classics that i love are The Runaway Bunny, The Giving Tree, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Pokey Little Puppy. I also really love Miss Tizzy.

Some of the first "chapter books" I remember falling in love with were The Secret Garden, Little Women, Charlotte's Web, Number the Stars,all of the Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the prairie books, Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary books, and A Wrinkle in Time. I also love most anything by Eric Carle, Shel Silverstein, Dr. Seuss, Tommie DePaola, Carl Sandburg...oh I COULD GO ON AND ON! This whole post makes me just want to go back and read all of these books and many more again!

I love to watch Jack explore books, and hope that he will love them as much as I do. I love to read with him. Some of our favorites are Counting Kisses and Bless Me.

I would love some more of your favorites, and my other teacher friends' favorites. So many of these books make great childrens plays as well, and I love to use them in my classes. I think I'll go to Barnes and Noble now!