Friday, August 08, 2008

Am I Seeing Double?

One year ago today, I dragged my pucking butt out of the house for the 1st time in 5 weeks. At this point I had been very, very, very sick and lost 6 lbs already! (Impressive since I was growing 2 babies at the time) I knew that I would be sick during pregnancy, but really?! This was sooo much more than I ever could have expected. I had spent the last 5 weeks staring at the fan between "episodes" (every 3 hours-just like their feeding schedule which I think is wild now.) I was thinking this is TERRIBLE and I AM NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN. I was trying every home remedy known to man, 3 different types of drugs, and finally on this 8th week the doctor called me in something that stopped the vomiting (not the nausea) and I took this drug twice a day for the next 8 1/2 months. "What to expect when you are expecting" became my quick reference for every little thing I read that some EXTREME sickness can mean that there is a multiple pregnancy. Well, I felt like this was extreme, but was it extreme enough for twins? No...It is just "morning" (noon, and night) sickness.

August 8th, 2007 finally came and Michael and I went to the Doctor's office. I was trying not to vomit the whole time and Michael was soooo anxious. We had to wait an hour and half to see the Doctor. We met with her and she went over the usual stuff. I am still not wrapping my heart around the fact that we are pregnant. I am not believing anything until I see it. We go back in the sonogram room and she feels my belly. It was really sensitive and I winced a little.

I remember the doctor doing a "hmmm" moment, but thought nothing of it.

The screen popped on and she moved the thing real fast and came to the sack. (This was her seeing that there were 2, but keeping it a surprise.) "Here is your first baby." On the screen was this little peanut. I was soooo memorized. A healthy little baby inside me-IV real! "And here is your second baby!" Think of a car slamming on their breaks and that screeching noise you hear-"What?!" "How could this be??!!" "What?!!" "But, I don't even have twins in the family." "Is everything ok?" "But, what?!!" (mouth dropped the whole time-speechless)

So, 1 year ago today was the most shocking of my whole life. I was scared. I couldn't imagine that a 5ft 1" girl of 26 could carry 2 little babies. Oh, but I did. Much to my former body's demise, I did. I stretched and pulled and stretched and pulled and made it past 37 weeks to welcome the most perfect little boys God ever created.

Happy Surprise Day!
Below:
Twin "A" : Dylan Matthew (top) and "Twin "B": Brody Daniel (bottom)

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Your boys are so precious! I can't imagine what that day must have been like for you. I admire you so much for everything you have been able to accomplish - you seem like super mom! And those precious faces are definitely worth it in the end, don't you think?

Days of Golden said...

Such a sweet story! Loved reading about it...

amy said...

I loved reading this post! It brings tears to my eyes... I remember that day for me VERY well! Even though we did IVF and knew they implanted 2 embryos, NEVER in my WILDEST dreams did I imagine having 2!! We were in shock... I think I still am. God is good. :) Thinking about you as you're getting ready to go back to work.